Orthopedic doctors are trained in the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of injuries and diseases of your body's musculoskeletal system. This complex system includes your bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves, and allows you to move, work, and be active.
POA orthopedic doctors and surgeons are trained in four primary skills:
- Diagnosis of orthopedic injuries and disorders
- Treatment of those injuries and disorders through medication, exercise, surgery, or other customized treatment plans
- Rehabilitation through exercises or physical therapy to restore movement, strength, and function
- Prevention of further injury or degeneration by providing information and treatment plans
Most orthopedists practice general orthopedics, but some may specialize in treating specific areas of the body or particular fields such as pediatrics, trauma, or sports medicine. Orthopedic doctors and surgeons at POA cover a wide range of specialties. All of our physicians are board certified or board-eligible by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Foot and Ankle Surgery
Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
Spine Care and Surgery
Upper Extremity Specialists
Training of Orthopedic Doctors
Orthopedic surgeons are medical doctors with extensive training in the proper diagnosis and treatment of injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic doctors complete up to 14 years of formal education, including:
- Four years of study in a college or university
- Four years of study in medical school
- Five years of study in orthopedic residency at a major medical center
- One optional year of specialized education
After establishing a licensed practice, orthopedic surgeons must demonstrate mastery of orthopaedic knowledge by passing both oral and written examinations given by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Each year, orthopedic doctors spend many hours studying and attending continuing medical education courses to maintain current orthopaedic knowledge and skills.